Turnovers make difference in the Longhorns loss to Kansas State

Why Texas Lost 
Turnovers. Plain and simple this game was lost because of turnovers. The Longhorns played well and did a solid job containing Collin Klein. But the Wildcats scored 21 points off Texas’ three turnovers, with a fourth quarter fumble and interception sealing the game for KSU.

Quarter by Quarter Breakdown 
First: The first quarter started as badly as possible for the Longhorns. On Case McCoy’s second throw of the game he was intercepted by Kansas State cornerback, Nigel Malone, who walked into the end zone for the touchdown, dropping the ball at the end of the play. Then, in a bizarre ruling, the Wildcats’ touchdown was taken away because of his fumble and they were given the ball on the 1-yard line. Klein converted on the next play with a rushing touchdown.
Second: This frame went significantly better for Texas. The defense buckled down and didn’t allow a point in the second quarter. It was McCoy that had the biggest turnaround. He was 9-for-10 in the second, leading the Longhorns on a pair of scoring drives to take a 10-7 halftime lead.
Third: The Longhorns’ defense started to falter in the third. They gave up a pair of touchdowns, and the Wildcats began to move the ball at a nice clip on the ground. Texas scored its touchdown on a two-yard Malcolm Brown run.
Fourth: This quarter was defined by missed opportunities. A three-and-out led to a Kansas State touchdown. Then a missed Nick Jordan field goal cost the Longhorns a chance to get within a score. And a muffed punt return by Quandre Diggs allowed the Wildcats to put the game away with a momentum-swinging touchdown.

By the Numbers 
21: The amount of Kansas State’s points that the Longhorns’ trio of turnovers
resulted in.
3: The amount of Texas points that the Wildcats’ turnover resulted in.
18: The difference in points of turnovers and the difference in the final score.

Stock Down: 
Texas Football: The loss to Kansas State ended the Longhorns regular season at 8-4. It’s the third straight season in which the Longhorns have failed to reach the 10-win barrier.
Texas still has a bowl to look forward to, but as of now, this team doesn’t have a ton to lean on heading into 2013. The offense is once again marred by a quarterback controversy between Case McCoy and David Ash, which will likely stretch into the offseason. The defense continues to show holes, and this group can’t find a way to play a complete game against quality opponents. Without a convincing bowl performance it will be a long offseason in Austin for the Longhorns.

Stock Up 
Malcolm Brown: The often injured running back finally got back into the offensive flow on Saturday after not receiving a carry against TCU. He was effective too. Brown rushed for 40 yards and a touchdown on only seven carries, and added an additional 43 yards receiving. He looked spry and had a burst late in the game, perhaps attributable to his lengthy period of time off as he dealt with an ankle injury. He’s the Longhorns best all-around back and it looks like he’s finally found his role in co-offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin’s offense.

Printed on Monday, Dec. 3, 2012 as: Turnovers problematic again in second straight week