Longhorn swimmers hold their own against Olympians

Texas represented well against high-profile Olympians at the AT&T Winter National Championships at the Texas Swim Center this weekend.

Hosting the event, the Longhorns claimed the Men's meet title with 428 points.

On Friday Texas took three top five finishes throughout the day.

Clay Younquist and Dax Hill took fifth and sixth respectively where they competed against Olympians Ryan Lochte and Ricky Berens, a Texas-Ex. Berens actually won the event while Lochte came in second.

On Saturday  Senior Michael McBroom took his second title of the Tournament in the 1,650 Freestyle event.

UT head coach Eddie Reese commented on the mental state of McBroom in this tournament and in general.

"He's really tough, mentally. He's one of the best fighters out there. He's going to swim really well this year."

With championships abroad looming in the future, Reese commented that McBroom's performance was a good sign.

"Michael is getting ready to go to the FINA Short Course World Championships in Turkey, and he needs to be pretty good. He was tonight" Reese said.

Despite a slow start, the Texas women's team also came through this weekend against the tough competition.

"We had a great meet as a team," UT women's head coach Carol Capitani said.  The first day was a little flat, but after that, we really stepped it up. I'm really proud of them. And the crowd here was terrific."

Throughout the tournament Texas Women's team represented with a stellar performance by Laura Sogar, who demolished two of her school records in the 100 and 200 Breaststroke events.

Kaitlin Pawlowcz and Kelsy LeNeave took sixth and seventh respectively in the 1,650 freestyle, while Sarah Denninghoff earned a win in the 200 backstroke consolation final.
The Horns finished up Saturday night by taking second in the 200 freestyle relay.

"It was a great team effort," Capitani said. "Almost everyone had at least one best time. We had some great performances class-by-class."