San Antonio Spurs photo goes viral

The Associated Press

Spurs players Tim Duncan (left) and Tony Parker (right) hold up toy guns  to the head of a man dressed as NBA referee Joey Crawford.

Only three days after San Antonio was fined $250,000 by the NBA for sending its star players home on the day of a showdown with Miami, the Spurs could once again be in trouble with the NBA.

On Monday, a photo emerged on Reddit of San Antonio stars Tony Parker and Tim Duncan in costume pointing a pair of toy guns at the head of a man dressed as NBA referee Joey Crawford. The photo appears to have been taken at a Halloween party.

Crawford, one of the NBA’s more controversial referees, has a history of getting into tiffs with players, especially Spurs players. In a 2007 game, Crawford ejected Duncan when he was sitting on the bench laughing. The NBA later suspended Crawford for the incident.

The photo, while clearly a joke, might spell bad news for the Spurs. It won’t be taken lightly by NBA commissioner David Stern, and could draw yet another fine.

Neither the Spurs nor the NBA has commented on the incident, but Manu Ginobili did have this to say to the San Antonio Express-News:

“I don’t know exactly what people are saying about it,” Ginobili said. “What I know is, it was Halloween. If somebody dressed like [head coach Gregg Popovich] was there, I probably would have done the same with my little sword. I think it was a joke. It was very innocent.”

Printed on Tuesday, December 4, 2012 as: Spurs Halloween photo goes viral