No. 3 Texas to open season against No. 1 Arkansas

Although Texas recently lost in its dual meet against Arkansas, on Jan. 9 it was listed as the No. 3 team in the preseason indoor national team rankings by the USTFCCCA.

The Longhorns are approaching this season with a strong team, consisting of many All-Americans led by 18th-year coach, Bubba Thornton.

Several of the distance runners raced this past fall for the cross-country team, which finished ninth at nationals. Junior runner Ryan Dohner has received all-league honors six times, while senior Patrick McGregor has earned five All-Big 12 honors.

The distance runners are gaining even more strength this season with transfers Austin Bussing, an All-Big 12 athlete from Kansas, and Kyle Merber who earned All-Ivy League honors at Columbia.  

The pole-vaulting unit for the Longhorns boasts star athletes, including three-time All-American Maston Wallace, NCAA qualifier Hayden Clark and four-time All-Big 12 honoree Mark Thomas.

Texas’ throwing unit consists of three-time first team All-American Hayden Baillio and three-time All-American Ryan Crouser.

To open the season, Texas travels to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete in the Razorback Team Invitational on Friday and Saturday, where it will take on Arkansas, which is No. 1 in the preseason rankings.