Longhorns held to only 10 points in the paint in loss against Iowa State

Half-By-Half

First Half: Texas was struck with turnovers and inconsistent play as it let Iowa State end the half with a 14-0 run and a first-half 39-24 in favor of the Cyclones. The Longhorns made only 33.3 percent from the floor while they let the Cyclones shoot 53.6 percent. Anna Prins, at 6-foot-7, led Iowa State with 14 points while freshman Empress Davenport led her squad with seven. The Longhorns also had a tough time controlling the parameter as they let Iowa State make 53.8 percent of their three-point shots.  

Second Half: The Longhorns came out looking for a spark to get their third straight win. While they improved on both sides of the ball, the Cyclones were able to keep the young team at bay. Celina Rodrigo, coming off just two points in the first half, came out hot and finished the second half with eight more points. However, finishing with a 49.0 shooting percentage, the Cyclones ended the game with a 16-4 run to claim the victory. 

Stock Up

The freshman duo of Davenport and Rodrigo led the Longhorns on offense- Davenport finished with 13 points on the night while Rodrigo had season-high 10 on the night. The pair, which averaged 35 minutes of playing time on the night, kept Texas alive in the first part of the second half as they made big shots.

Stock Down

Nneka Enemkpali- Toward the middle of the first half, Enemkpali got tangled up with an Iowa State player and was slow to get up. After that, she seemed to move at half-pace and had trouble making shots. The sophomore, who is usually the points leader for the Longhorns, ended up with just six points and five rebounds. 

By the Numbers:

10: Texas was held to just 10 points in the paint. Enemkpali and Imani McGee-Stafford were held to just 11 combined points which shut out the Longhorns’ main source of points down low.

20: In their nine wins this season, the Longhorns have held their opponents to just 29 percent shooting from the floor. In Wednesday’s game, Texas allowed 20 percent greater shooting, allowing 49 percent. 

The Longhorns now look to Saturday night when they will face No. 1 ranked Baylor (21-1, 11-0 20-1, 10-0). This is the first game between Texas and the Bears after Baylor won the national championship last spring.