Longhorns give up 34-14 run, fall to No. 1 Baylor

Marisa Vasquez

Nneka Enemkpali (3) attemps to score but is blocked by Baylor player Brittney Griner (42).

Brittney Griner and Odyssesy Sims sparked a second-half 34-14 Baylor run to push the Bears to a 75-48 win over Texas.

The Longhorns (9-13, 2-9 Big 12), who have struggled in conference play this season, gave up a big two-handed dunk by Griner, which opened the game up giving the Bears (22-1, 12-0 Big 12) the eventual win. Other than that Griner had an average game with 14 points and three rebounds.

Texas was led by the freshman duo of Imani McGee-Stafford and Empress Davenport, who both tallied 13 points on the night. McGee-Stafford stood tall against the All-American Griner, with a career-high 18 rebounds.

“I use [Griner] as a sort of measuring stick. I was obviously compared to her a lot in high school,” McGee-Stafford said. “I statistically outrebounded her [in tonight’s game]. I can’t say I am satisfied because we lost but I wasn’t the freshman tonight. I can say that.”

Texas kept the game close for the most part in the first half as they threw everything they had at Griner, double-teaming, sometimes triple-teaming her. The Longhorns even caused the 6-foot-8 star to play just nine minutes in the first half after she failed to produce. Baylor only had a 34-25 lead at halftime.

The second half was a different story, however. Up by just nine, Griner took an inbound pass and went up for the dunk, stopping all momentum Texas had.

Even with the inspired performance from Stafford and Davneport, the Longhorns were outscored 41-23 in the second half and fell to the defending national champions by 28 points.

“Typical Baylor performance where they are just dominating on the defensive end,” head coach Karen Aston said. “More than anything I would love to see our team prepare and compete on a daily basis the way we did for this evenings game.”