Lady Horns climb to fourth place

With an individual second round score of 2-under 69, senior Madison Pressel helped the Texas Longhorns women’s golf team move up to fourth place in second round action of the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge. As a team, the Longhorns are at 21-over 589 as they enter Wednesday’s final round.

Pressel’s scorecard included two bogeys at the first and third holes before she carded four birdies, three of which occurred in her bogey-free back nine. On the player leaderboard, Pressel (75-69=144) is in a tie for fifth place, four strokes off the lead held by first round leader Alejandra Cangrejo of Duke.

As a team, the Lady Horns shot the second lowest round in Tuesday’s action with a score of 6-over 290. Sophomore Bertine Strauss (77-71=148, +6) carded an even round of golf tied for eighteenth. Senior Desiree Dubreuil (74-75=149, +7) trails her teammate by one stroke as she ended her second round tied for 23rd place. Fellow seniors Katelyn Sepmoree (74-77=151, +9) and Haley Stephens (76-75=151, +9) are tied for 37th place at 9-over par.

Entering the final round, the Lady Horns trail USC by 11 strokes. As a team, USC had the lowest round total with a score of 4-under 280. The Trojans’ overall score is 10-over 578. Rival UCLA is one stroke off the Trojans’ lead while Duke rounds out the top three at 17-over par.

Published on February 13, 2013 as "Longhorns move to fourth with Pressel's sharp shots".