Three-pointers Sink Longhorns in 68-47 Loss At Kansas State

The Texas Longhorns (9-14, 2-10) lost their third straight game Wednesday night, dropping a rematch with Kansas State (13-11, 4-8) 68-47. Despite the team’s height advantage that spurred a victory in their last meeting, Texas couldn’t find an answer for the Wildcats’ shooters.

Both squads got off to a slow start shooting from the field, with Texas holding a slim 13-12 lead after 11 minutes of action. The Wildcats found their rhythm as the half dwindled down, however, reeling off a 14-4 run to take an 11-point lead into halftime.

The Longhorns allowed the Wildcats to shoot 51.9 percent from the field in the first half while only shooting 40 percent themselves.

Texas’ woes continued in the second half as Kansas State started the half with a 14-2 scoring run to bring its lead to 25. A three-point play by Nneka Enemkpali gave the team a spark of energy, but the women weren’t able to find a consistent rhythm.

Despite outscoring the Wildcats 26-24 in the paint, the Longhorns couldn’t find an answer for the three-point shooting of Kansas State. The Wildcats shot 36.4 percent from deep in the game, knocking down 12 three-pointers, including eight in the second half alone.

Enemkpali was the bright spot for Texas in the game, recording her 11th double-double of the season with 18 points and 13 rebounds. Empress Davenport also looked impressive in the loss, scoring 11 points in a team-high 38 minutes for her third-straight double digit scoring night.

In a game which saw their opponents attempt 33 three-pointers, the Longhorns’ five shots from the three-point arc was a stat that stood out in the final statistics. 

The loss drops the Longhorns even further behind in the Big 12 as they now sit two games behind Kansas State, which is currently eighth in a conference of 10 teams.

With six games left to try and salvage their season, the Longhorns will look to snap their skid against Texas Tech on Saturday.