Texas turns in program’s worst shooting performance ever in Big 12 play

First Half:

Connor Lammert scored seven of Texas’ first eight points, all within the first four and a half minutes of the game. Lammert’s layup cut Kansas’ lead to 11-8 at the 15:55 mark but the Jayhawks immediately went on a 17-3 run and had the game sown up by halftime. Texas, who shot just 20 percent from the floor and 36.4 percent from the free throw line, scored 15 points, the fewest in school history in a first half during Big 12 play.  

Second Half:

A 13-point halftime deficit was quickly extended to a 22-point deficit as Kansas led, 41-19, after a layup by Travis Releford with 14:34 to go. Jeff Withey blocked a Jonathan Holmes shot to break former Longhorn Chris Mihm’s Big 12 record for most career blocks. Ben McLemore’s 360-degree dunk in the waning moments of the game put an emphatic exclamation on what may have been the Longhorns’ worst game all season long. 

By the Numbers:

21.8: The Longhorns’ field goal percentage, making for their worst-ever shooting percentage in Big 12 play. The previous low was set when Texas shot 30 percent from the floor in a 83-60 loss to Colorado on March 1, 2007. 

265: Career blocks for Withey, who stuffed Holmes early in the second half to break the record for most career blocks by a Big 12 player, which was previously held by former Longhorn Chris Mihm.

3: Number of assists Texas had. That is the fewest by the Longhorns in Big 12 play and one more than the fewest they have had in a game of any kind. Texas had two assists in a 2005 NCAA Tournament loss to Nevada and recorded just four assists in a loss to Nebraska in 2001. 

26: Margin of defeat for the Longhorns in Saturday’s loss to Kansas. The 26-point defeat tied last month’s loss to Kansas State for the program’s most lopsided road loss in Big 12 play and was the worst loss by Texas since a 97-66 loss to No. 1 Duke in 2005 — the last time the Longhorns wore all-black uniforms. 

7: Consecutive road losses in Big 12 play, a school record. The Longhorns lost to Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse last year as well, 73-63, on March 3. That was the first of seven straight road defeats in conference play, which broke the previous school record of six.

What’s Next:

Texas gets a good shot at picking up its first road victory of the season when it travels to Fort Worth to face TCU on Tuesday, who the Longhorns trounced, 60-43, earlier this season to pick up their first Big 12 win of the year and break a season-long five-game losing streak.