“Soccer” teams gave exhibition

Originally printed on Saturday, Feb. 1, 1913 – The Texan

Regulars scored 3-to-0 over Scrubs; Game seems destined to become regular sport.

The first exhibition of soccer football ever given by a Southern university was played Wednesday afternoon on Clark Field. The game was between the Varsity Regulars and the Scrubs, and the Regulars were victorious by the score of 3 to 0. This being the maiden appearance of association football, or soccer, quite a gathering of students were present to pass judgement upon the merits of the sport. From the interest manifested, it seems now an assured fact that this game is destined to become one of the regular college sports.

The manner of play, the rules and regulations, and the scoring — all were Greek to the onlookers, but they soon caught the spirit of the game and began to appreciate its merits. The field is arranged something on the order of a gridiron, with a goal at either end, through which the ball must be kicked in order to score. The ball must pass between the goal posts and under the wire, and each goal counts one point. This is the only possible way to score. The ball can never be handled with the hands, except that the goal may catch it and throw it back to keep it from passing through for a score; also when it has been kicked out of bounds the opponent is allowed to toss it in with his hands. “Headwork” plays are important in the game, not only in outfiguring the opposing side, but also in propelling the ball toward the goal. Some of the players were quite expert in “butting” the ball, and at times sent it bouncing for several yards.

The game lasts for an hour, with and intermission of five minutes. It requires a bit of track work to last through the game, but the Scrubs and Regulars both seemed to have an abundance of energy and never allowed the “pep” to lag at any time. Varsity showed the more aggressive work and kept the Scrubs on the defensive most of the time. The teams, however, were pretty evenly matched and kept the ball see-sawing all over the field. The score was small on account of the inability of the players to place their kicks, which may be due to lack of practice, or to the efficient guarding of the opponents.

Varsity scored one goal in the first half and two in the last. Haines was credited with the first, and Harwood booted the other two over the line. The Scrubs had several good chances to score, but failed to connect with the ball at the crucial moment. All of the men appeared to be fairly expert in the game, though Captain Adams and Captain Robertson were perhaps the best men on each side. For the Regulars, Harwood, Williams, Jester and Carlton played fancy ball, sending thrills through the spectators time and again by their timely kicks.

For the Scrubs, Wright, Sonfield, Murray and Hale also showed good work and displayed ability in the game.

Dr. Newman, who is volunteering his services as coach, expressed himself as highly pleased with the game, and with the expression of approval from the students who were present. He announces that another game will be played next week, and that a trip will likely be taken to Houston, Galveston and Port Arthur within the next few weeks.