Longhorns return home after 1-1 split with Big 10

The Longhorns went up against the Big 10’s best over the weekend and returned home with a 1-1 split to show for it.

Friday against Northwestern, No. 24 Breaunna Addison/Noel Scott continued their success over ranked opponents with a win over No. 15 Mushrefova/Hamilton. Texas claimed the doubles point with an Ellis/Begley win.

Singles play featured four matches that went to three sets. Addison and Ellis each pulled out victories over ranked opponents for the second straight match. Ellis’ win at No. 1 singles clinched the match and Texas won 5-2.

Sunday’s match against Michigan was a challenge for Texas and ended in a couple of upsets at the top of the Longhorns’ order.

The Longhorns began Sunday’s match with a loss in doubles, dropping all three matches, including an Addison/Scott loss to No. 6 Bolender/Bektas.

After a Scott loss in singles, Padegimaite put Texas up on the board with a win over Amy Zhu. Juliana Gajic tied up the match at two with a win over Kristen Dodge (7-5, 6-2).

A Begley loss put the Longhorns down 2-3 and in need of a win by Ellis to stay alive. But No. 48 Emina Bektas pulled off the upset to clinch the match for the Wolverines.

Addison continued her match at No. 2 singles but added to the loss column as she was upset by an unranked opponent.

The Longhorns return home to face Rice on Saturday.