Women’s track and field finishes second at Big 12 Indoor Championships

Behind strong individual and relay performances, the No. 13 Longhorns finished second at the Big 12 Indoor Championships in Ames, Iowa this weekend.

Texas claimed victory in the medley relay Saturday as All-Americans Sara Sutherland, Briana Nelson, Kendra Chambers and Marielle Hall clocked in at 11:15.90, the second fastest time in school history. Sophomore Kaitlin Petrillose also impressed on the first day of competition, as she became the first Longhorn to ever win the pole vault title at the indoor conference meet. By clearing 4.33 meters, Petrillose was able to beat her own personal mark and also eclipse the school record.

“It’s exciting to make a mark on the record books at a place like Texas, especially when it really counts at the conference meet,” Petrillose said. 

On Sunday the Longhorn’s 4X400 meter relay team took home a Big 12 title finishing with a time of 3:33.54. It was the team’s first win in the event at the conference meet since 2005. Another championship performance included junior Shanay Briscoe’s victory in the high jump with a clear of 5-9.25 (1.76m).

The Longhorns were able to score in 17 of 19 events and finished with a total of 148 points, just shy of team winner Kansas with 150.5 points.

In total, Texas earned 30 All-Big 12 honors in 17 scored events on the weekend. Senior Kendra Chambers, junior Briana Nelson and freshman Courtney Okolo led the way for the Longhorns with three each, while junior A’Lexus Brannon, senior Mia Behm, junior Shanay Briscoe, junior Danielle Dowie, senior Chalonda Goodman, junior Marielle Hall, senior Alicia Peterson and junior Christy Udoh picked up two apiece. 

The Longhorns will compete in the Last Chance Meets Friday and Saturday before the NCAA Indoor Championships take place March 8-9.