Texas looks to end four-game skid

FILE_2013_02_16_Baseball_Texas_vs_Hornets_Jonathan
Jonathan Garza

Chad Hollingsworth warms up for Texas’ opening series last month.

After getting swept by Stanford over the weekend, the Longhorns will look to end their four-game losing streak Tuesday when they host Texas Pan-American.

Texas (6-5), has scored just six runs during its four-game skid, but is hopeful to get a resurgence on offense against a Broncos pitching staff (2-6) that is allowing nearly six runs per game. In addition, the Longhorns have performed well at home, where they are 6-2 and have scored at least six runs three times.

Freshman Chad Hollingsworth is slated to get the start for Texas. The right-hander is 2-0 with a 4.05 ERA this season, and pitched five innings of one-run ball in his first career start on Feb. 19. Overall, he has pitched 6.2 innings and struck out five batters over the course of five appearances.

Despite the Longhorns’ struggles over the weekend, head coach Augie Garrido was pleased with his team’s effort and believes his players will only improve with experience.

“I believe we are a team that will get much better as we go down the road,” Garrido said. “I was really impressed with the attitude of our team. A loss is always stinging and stunning, but some losses you gain confidence from and you earn respect.”

Starting pitcher Nathan Thornhill agreed with Garrido, saying the team is ready to put the weekend behind them and focus on the present.

“I think getting this one off our minds and getting back on the diamond to compete again [is important],” Thornhill said. “We have a great group of guys and just have to get back to being ourselves and not trying too hard.”

Tuesday’s game is scheduled to start at 4:30 p.m. at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. It will be the first game of the Longhorns’ current eight-game homestand.