Softball looks to take advantage of struggling Texas State team

Emily Ng

Taylor Hoagland leads a powerful Texas lineup with a .433 average. The star outfielder is also tied for the team lead with 13 steals with junior Brejae Washington. 

The No. 10 Longhorns will host the Texas State Bobcats on Friday and Sunday at Red and Charline McCombs Field and will travel to Bobcat Softball Stadium on Saturday as part of the three-game series. The Bobcats (3-17) have struggled mightily this year, picking up their only wins against Mississippi Valley State and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

The Bobcats have struggled even more against Texas pitchers, not scoring a run against the Longhorns since the sixth inning of the March 30, 2011, contest in San Marcos, a span of 22-straight scoreless frames.

The weekend after this weekend’s series, March 14-16, the Longhorns will make the long trek to Fullerton, Calif., for the Judi Garman Classic. The classic is full of tough competition including No. 3 Arizona State and No. 19 Washington. The Longhorns will also be taking on North Carolina State (11-5-1), Depaul (12-8) and Penn State (4-9).

Arizona State (21-1) started the season 21-0 before dropping its first game to the first Big 12 opponent they faced: Baylor.

With the conclusion of the Judi Garman Classic comes the conclusion of Texas’ non-conference season.

While it appears that head coach Connie Clark is beginning to figure out her lineup and rotation, she will be looking to have it set for the start of Big 12 play March 23.

Clark will have her hands full as the Longhorns are clicking on all cylinders, especially after two impressive victories over No. 13 Louisiana-Lafayette in the double-header Wednesday where the Longhorns won, 9-4 and 7-1. But that’s a dilemma she doesn’t mind.

Taylor Hoagland, Stephanie Ceo, Taylor Thom and Mandy Ogle all boast batting averages greater than .400, while Brejae Washington is a hit away at .397. The top two in the circle, Blaire Luna and Kim Bruins, are a combined 16-0 with a 1.13 ERA.

Luna is currently leading Big 12 pitchers in strikeouts, complete games and opponents’ batting average, in addition to being second in ERA. Thom is leading the Big 12 in doubles while fourth in home runs and total bases.

Published on March 8, 2013 as "Spring break brings more tests for Texas".