Texas rallies in the eighth to defeat Oral Roberts, 4-3

The Longhorns needed a rally in the eighth, but defeated Oral Roberts 4-3 on Tuesday evening at Disch-Falk Field. With the score knotted at 3, Weston Hall plated second baseman Brooks Marlow for the go-head run in the eighth.

Marlow sparked the rally in the eighth with a single to center field. He then advanced to third off a single from Collin Shaw before Hall came up with the single to second base to put the Longhorns ahead.

“We had some clutch hits,” Texas head coach Augie Garrido said. “All in all it was a good college baseball game.”

Marlow finished the night 1-for-3. Both freshman C.J Hinojosa and junior Mark Payton had two hits for the Longhorns.

With a 3-1 lead, closer Corey Knebel allowed a game-tying, two-run triple to Tyler Boss. But Texas responded in the bottom of the eighth as Brooks Marlow and Collin Shaw both singled with two out before Oral Roberts second baseman Matt Brandy couldn't handle Weston Hall's ground ball up the middle and Marlow scored what proved to be the game-winning run. Knebel came back out for the ninth inning and struck out the side to pick up his first win of the year.

“I guess [Corey] was finally tired of getting saves all of these years so he set himself up for a win,” Garrido said. “We had a lot of opportunities and I think we played a very good defensive game.”

Freshman Chad Hollingsworth started out on the mound for the Longhorns and pitched four innings while surrendering one run on two hits. Texas gave up seven hits on the night.

The Longhorns will begin their conference season this weekend with a home series against Texas Tech. The series opener will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Friday. Game 2 is slated for 2 p.m. on Saturday with game three at 1 p.m. on Sunday. The Red Raiders are 11-7 on the season and will face Utah Valley on Wednesday night before coming to Austin on Friday.