Longhorns win four, but lose top-ten showdown

2013-03-06-Softball_Emily_Ng
Emily Ng

Senior infielder Taylor Hoagland runs the bases during a game against Louisiana-Lafayette earlier this month. 

The No. 9 Longhorns closed out non-conference play with a 4-1 showing at the Judi Garman Classic in Fullerton, CA over the weekend.

The Longhorns started the classic with a 3-0 loss to No. 2 Arizona State, before tallying four straight wins against Penn State, No. 18 Washington, North Carolina State and DePaul.

On Thursday, Arizona State (27-1) broke a scoreless tie in the fifth inning on Alix Johnson’s RBI double helping propel Arizona State to a 3-0 victory over Texas. Blaire Luna picked up her first loss of the season, despite allowing just three hits. Texas could not muster any offense off Arizona State’s elite pitcher, Dallas  Escobedo. The Longhorns recorded just three hits while striking out 13 times.

On Friday, the Longhorns swept Penn State and Washington with little trouble. Freshman Erin Shireman sparked the offense in the first game against the Nittany Lions with a tie-breaking third-inning RBI single that plated the winning-run in pace to a 8-4 win while freshman Holly Kern (4-3) picked up the win.

Against the Huskies, Luna redeemed her first loss of the season with a two-hit, 16-strikeout complete game in a 4-1 win. Junior Taylor Thom hit a two-run homer and plated another to extend her hot streak and pace the Texas offense.

On Saturday, the Longhorns swept again. Taylor Hoagland powered the Longhorns against North Carolina State to a 7-4 win behind her two home-runs. Luna pitched the first six allowing three hits and three earned runs to bring her season record to 13-1. Sophomore Gabby Smith closed the game, picking up her first save of the season.

In the second game, Hoagland blasted another homer, making three on the day, to propel Texas over DePaul 8-3. Kern allowed 11 hits to an inferior team, but the Longhorns offense was able to bail her out and help her earn her fifth victory. Four DePaul errors lead to four unearned runs for Texas.

The Longhorns return to action Saturday to begin the conference season against Baylor in Waco.

Published on March 18, 2013 as "Texas returns home with four more wins".