Bond bounces after two-year stint with Longhorns

2013_02_20_Texas_vs_KansasState_Lawrence
Lawrence Peart

Sophomore Jaylen Bond (5) has decided to transfer from Texas after limited playing time in two season with the Longhorns.

Texas sophomore forward Jaylen Bond announced his intentions to transfer Monday. He will not play in the College Basketball Invitational.

The Philadelphia product averaged 2.8 points and 3.2 rebounds in 11.1 minutes per game this season. He missed 11 of the Longhorns’ first 12 games with a left foot injury and played more than 15 minutes only six times this year.

“While this was a difficult decision to make, I feel it is the right one for me at this time,” Bond said. “I want to thank everyone who played a part in allowing me the privilege to attend The University of Texas. This starts with the coaching staff, my fellow teammates and the educational staff who have helped me during the past two years. They have taught me a lot, and I am very grateful for the opportunity to have been part of this program.”

Bond becomes the second player to transfer from Texas in as many seasons. Point guard Sterling Gibbs transferred to Seton Hall after one year with the Longhorns.

After scoring 3.4 points and grabbing 4.6 rebounds in 15.4 minutes per game and starting five times as a freshman last year, Bond started only twice this season.

“It wouldn’t be right for me to continue playing in the postseason and take minutes away from my teammates who are returning,” Bond said. “Once again, I would like to thank everyone who has supported me while I was here.”