Longhorns head into outdoor season after strong performances at indoors

The No. 6 Longhorns ended their indoor campaign last week with fairly strong performances as they phased into the 2013 outdoor season.

The NCAA Indoor Championships earlier this month capped off the Longhorn’s impressive indoor season as Texas finished 18th out of 52 teams in the championship meet.

A third place finish by the Longhorn’s mile relay team highlighted the event as juniors Danielle Dowie, Christy Udoh and Briana Nelson and freshman Courtney Okolo clocked a 3:30.63, the fifth fastest time in Texas history. 

“We came in with a really strong team and we were definitely going out there to win,” Dowie said. “Everyone did their best and I’m really proud of us.”

Out of 11 Longhorns who competed in the meet, seven brought back 2013 Indoor All-American honors.

The Longhorns began their outdoor season in San Diego, Cal. At the Aztec Invitational March 15-16.

The 4×100-meter relay team led the way for Texas by claiming victory in the event. The squad was able to post a time of 44.54 and edge out second place UCLA (45.71).

Other notable performances included sophomore Morgan Snow’s effort in the 100-meter hurdles. Snow was able to clock a time 13.58 and place second.

The Longhorns will get a much-deserved break this week as they prep for the Texas Relays taking place March 27-30 in Austin.