Texas evens the series with a 2-1 walk-off victory over Red Raiders

The Longhorns forced a rubber match against Texas Tech with a 2-1 win over the Red Raiders in game two Saturday afternoon. With the score tied at one, junior catcher Jacob Felts came up big with a walk-off double in the bottom of the ninth to plate junior Madison Carter for the victory.

“It was an exciting win after last night’s difficult defeat, especially to be on the other side,” said Texas head coach Augie Garrido. “It makes everyone feel a whole lot better and more confident.”

In the bottom of the ninth, Carter was walked with one out to bring Felts to the plate. Felts, who had struck out in the bottom of the ninth on Friday night during a rally, hit a fly ball to center field. The Red Raiders were unable to get the out, allowing Carter to get the score.

Sophomore Dillon Peters started out on the mound for the Longhorns going eight innings with seven strikeouts and one run off of five hits. The seven strike-outs was a career high for Peters. Junior Corey Knebel came in to close for Peters in the ninth with one out and the bases loaded. Knebel struck out two straight batters to eliminate the threat from the Raiders and get the win to move to 2-1 on the season

On offense, the Longhorns outhit Texas Tech 7-5. Junior Erich Weiss went 3-for-4 with an RBI. Weiss plated Weston Hall who reached on a single to left field on the first pitch of the game by the Red Raiders. The Longhorns ended Trey Masek’s 32 1/3 scoreless inning streak with the run in the bottom of the first.

“It was awesome,” Peters said. “Both teams were into it, there was good defense on both sides. We stuck to our gameplan, we hit the balls hard and got a lucky one at the end. We all did what we were working for all week.”

With the series tied 1-1, the Longhorns will face Texas Tech Sunday afternoon at 1 pm to decide the outcome.