Payton, Hall aid in offensive show against Texas State

Innings 1-3: Texas scored two runs in each of the first two innings and added a run in the third for a 5-2 lead. The big blow came off the bat of Ty Marlow, who recorded his first career hit with a second-inning home run in just his second field start of the season. Josh Urban allowed two runs in 2.2 innings in his first career start.

Innings 4-6: Jeremy Montalbano highlighted a four-run fourth inning with a bases-loaded single to score a pair of runs. Mark Payton and C.J Hinojosa also had RBI singles in the inning, and Hinojosa added another RBI base knock in the fifth inning. Texas State scored its third run of the game with a fifth-inning RBI double by Garrett Mattlage.  

Innings 7-9: Chad Hollingsworth pitched the final three innings for Texas, allowing two runs on three hits while striking out one. Jacob Felts picked up a pinch hit RBI single in the eighth inning, and Marlow recorded his third RBI of the game with a run-scoring fielder’s choice. 0

By the Numbers:

5: Number of consecutive innings Texas scored in to start the game.

27: Hits recorded by the Longhorns in two games against Texas State this season.

4: Number of Texas batters to score at least two runs

Stock Up: 

The Texas offense: After managing just four runs in three games over the weekend, the Texas lineup exploded for 12 runs on 16 hits Tuesday. Payton and Weston Hall had four and three hits, respectively, in the game, and four Longhorns drove in at least two runs. The 12 runs and 16 hits are both season highs for Texas this season.

Stock Down: 

Mark Gottsacker: The leftfielder went 0-3 with two strikeouts Tuesday and was one just of two Texas starters that failed to record a hit. Gottsacker is hitless in his last eight at bats and saw his average drop to .214 on the season. 

What’s Next: 

Texas travels to Lawrence, Kan. to take on the Jayhawks in a three-game series this weekend. The Longhorns are 3-6 against Big 12 opponents this season and will look to pick up their first conference series win of the year.