Addison all about the team despite individual success

2013-04-08_Womens_Tennis_vs_FIU_Guillermo_Hernandez00142
Guillermo Hernandez

Parker French looks to bounce back from a loss to Oklahoma in last weekend's series when he faces Kansas in Game 1 of a crucial series for Texas. French is 3-2 with a 2.32 ERA this season. 

The streak is alive, but even if it ends soon, Breaunna Addison will keep on moving.

Last weekend, Addison, a freshman at Texas, won her tenth consecutive singles match in a bout against Boston University on Sunday — a match, she said, that gave her all she could handle.

“My match on Sunday was probably the toughest [this season],” she said. “My opponent had a lot of variety in her moves and I was tired. I did not want to give up the streak, but at the end of the day it is about the team and not me.”

Before her time as a Longhorn, Addison grew up and played tennis in Boca Raton in South Florida. It is home to Florida Atlantic University and has been a residential area for well-known athletes such as Pete Rose, Jeff Gordon and Cris Carter.

After growing up watching tennis icons Serena and Venus Williams and her favorite, Roger Federer, she decided to give tennis a shot. Addison said that she wants to adjust her style to be like Federer’s, which means incorporating mixed angles while returning and playing strategic tennis.

Addison enjoyed success in high school and at one point was ranked sixth in the nation. She won the prestigious Orange Bowl in 2009 as a 14-year-old playing in the 16-year-old division.

She has also played against, and beaten, Sloane Stephens, who is best known today as the American who defeated the decorated Serena Williams at the Australian Open this year.

Head coach Patty Fendick-McCain said she admires Addison’s passion for the game and her attention to the team.

“Breaunna is such a tremendous person and a team player,” Fendick-McCain said. “It is good to see her doing well this season considering she just started in January.”

She also said that Addison is extremely coachable during practices and matches, and that her feedback has been beneficial to the coaching process. Addison has a similar admiration of her coach, who she credits as being the person who has helped her develop into a better player the most.

“Many people have had an influence on me from the beginning,” Addison said, “but Patty really pushes me and does not let me cruise
through practice.”

Her teammates have also been a wonder to her development as a team player. Despite not knowing anyone before she arrived, Addison received everyone’s help along the way.

Sophomore Noel Scott, Addison’s doubles partner and roommate at Texas, helps set up Addison for her impressive singles outings because of her own aggression in doubles. As a result, the two have shared a close bond when it comes to talking tennis and going about their days.

As the season continues, Addison said that it will be important for her to stay focused in practice and go out and play at her best for the team, win or lose. That alone will determine how successful her first season will be.