Texas drops weekend series to OU after falling short on Sunday

Game One: When Keilani Ricketts stepped onto McCombs Field Friday, she was ready to show No. 6 Texas why her team is No. 1. Karina Scott’s home run in the second was enough to tie the game but nothing else. Blaire Luna started, giving up four runs on four hits and six walks. After the Sooners drove in three runs against Luna in the third, Holly Kern took the mound to finish. Texas’ only remaining offensive threat came with a bases-loaded Taylor Thom at-bat in the seventh, but Thom struck out swinging as OU won, 6-1.

Game Two: Luna’s eight strikeouts Saturday stifled the Sooners offense as Texas rallied back for its first win over a No. 1 opponent since 2006. Taylor Hoagland scored on an error for an early first-inning lead and furthered the advantage off Taylor Thom’s two-run single in the fourth. Oklahoma shrunk the gap with a Georgia Casey homer, but after Ricketts came home in the seventh, catcher Mandy Ogle tagged out Jessica Shults at the plate to secure the 4-2 win.

Game Three: In a game befitting of a top-10 matchup, the first inning of Sunday’s series finale featured a two-out home run from each team. But a Luna error allowed Oklahoma to score a second run as well, as the team in crimson and cream took a lead they wouldn’t lose. The game kept fans on edge as the Texas defense dispelled threats in each of the next three innings. Thom matched Shelby Pendley’s second home run in the sixth to bring in Hoagland, who tripled. Down 5-2 in the seventh, the Longhorns notched one more run before Hoagland’s bases-loaded pop and Brejae Washington’s ensuing game-ending strikeout left the squad brimming with disappointment.

—Jori Epstein

.633: Even though she only reached base once Sunday, Hoagland’s is on pace to far surpass both the school and Big 12 single-season on-base percentage records. 

3621: The combined attendance for the weekend’s matches. As most season games have attracted closer to 500, the rowdy and spirited stands fueled the Longhorns’ spirits against a long-time rival.

Stock Up: 

Shortstop Taylor Thom: Whether on the field or at the plate, Taylor Thom was a strong vocal presence at McCombs Field this weekend. She didn’t let the Red River Rivalry hype get to her as she connected on hits in each of the weekend’s matches. Thom hit a home run in the first Sunday as part of her weekend .500 average (4-for-8) and four RBIs brought her single-season count to 50, tied for the second-most in program history.