Longhorns ready to defend Big 12 Championship

If the defending champions want to go back-to-back, they will have to do so as the third seed in this week’s Big 12 Championship.

Texas (14-10, 7-2) enters the conference championship as the third seed, behind Texas Tech and Baylor, the two teams that delivered the Longhorns their two conference losses this season, both by a 4-3 decision.

Last year the team entered as a four-seed and beat top-seeded Texas Tech on route to a win over former conference foe Texas A&M in the finals.

Up first against the Longhorns is host Oklahoma, whom Texas beat 6-1 earlier in the season.

Senior Aeriel Ellis, No. 39 in ITA singles, heads into her final conference tournament with a 9-0 record in league play. She missed out on being Big 12 champion at No. 1 singles since she only held a 5-0 record at the position, ceding the spot to freshman Breaunna Addison the last four matches.

Addison and junior Elizabeth Begley both earned individual titles at No. 2 and No. 4 singles, as both went 8-1 in the conference.

The Longhorns also feature No. 18 Addison/Noel Scott in doubles. The pair went 5-4 in the Big 12, just one win ahead of last place Kansas at first doubles.

Texas and Oklahoma begin play at 3 p.m., with the winner advancing to play Texas Tech or Kansas State/West Virginia.