Women’s track and field team aims to repeat as Big 12 Outdoor Championships victor this weekend

The home stretch of the outdoor season begins Friday for the No. 10 women’s team as it participates in the Big 12 Outdoor Championships taking place in Waco.

After weeks of competing in non-scored events the Longhorns have had more than enough preparation to enter these last phases of the outdoor season.

For interim head coach Rose Brimmer, her expectation for the Big 12 Indoor Championships can be summed up in one word: winning.

“I expect to win,” Brimmer said. “The upperclassmen have experienced winning a Big 12 title and they know what it takes. But in order to get there we will need everyone from the freshman to the seniors to have our goals in mind.”

How much Texas can succeed this weekend will depend heavily on how well its stars perform in favored events like the 400-meter hurdles and sprint relays.

Last year, then-sophomore Danielle Dowie won the 400-meter hurdles while the 4X400 and 4×100-meter relay teams finished in 2nd and 4th, respectively.

With Texas A&M’s departure of the conference, No. 2 Kansas will be the only real threat standing in the way of Texas and a repeat Big 12 Outdoor Championships title on Sunday.