Texas Volleyball signs three

The Longhorns signed three top recruits for the 2013 season at the start of the summer. The newcomers include setter Chloe Collins, outside hitter Pilar Victoria Lopez from Puerto Rico and middle blocker Chiaka Ogbogu.

"This is a great class for our program and we are thrilled with the quality of the young women we have acquired," head coach Jerritt Elliott said. "Each one of them has the ability to come in and compete from day one."

The new team members will join the defending champion Longhorns which will have 11 letter winners returning from the championship squad.

Collins recorded 305 kills, 51 aces, 318 digs, 1,313 assists and 62 blocks in her senior season at Cypress Woods High School in Cypress, Texas and earned Under Armour High School All-American First Team honors. Collins enrolled at UT for the spring 2013 semester and played through the spring season.

"She is a natural setter with great speed, vertical jump and body control in the air," Elliott said. “She may be one of the best pure athletes I have ever coached."

Lopez, from Caguas, Puerto Rico, was named the country’s top prospect in the sport for 2012.  She will compete for both the 2013 Puerto Rico Junior National team and the Puerto Rico Adult National team this year.

"She is a very smooth player that has the complete game," Elliott said.  “She has played at a very high level and her experience can help this team in 2013 and beyond."

Ogbogu was also a 2012 Under Armour All-American and played with Collins. Ogbogu was also awarded the 2012 Gatorade Texas Volleyball Player of the Year.

Ogbogu helped Coppell High School in Coppell, Texas win back to back Texas 5A State Championships in 2011 and 2012 and recorded 486 kills, 144 blocks with a .555 hitting percentage in her senior season.

Elliott said Ogbogu will continue a Texas tradition of strong middle blockers.

“She is a smooth athlete that touches 10'-7" and with growth, has the potential to develop into one of the premier players in the nation,” Elliot said.