Kieschnick and Garrido inducted into Omaha College Baseball Hall of Fame

Texas head coach Augie Garrido and former Longhorn Brooks Kieschnick were among the six inductees for the inaugural class of the Omaha College Baseball Hall of Fame on July 3.  

Garrido is the second winningest coach in collegiate baseball history at 1,874 victories in 45 years in the dugout and the winningest Division I baseball coach ever.  He is one of two D1 coaches to win 500 or more games while coaching at two different schools.

Garrido has led both Cal State Fullerton and the University of Texas to College World Series titles in four different decades.  In 39 years as a DI head coach, his teams have made the College World Series 14 times, seven of which were with the Longhorns.  In his 14 trips to Omaha, Garrido has accumulated 38 wins, fourth all time, and at 38-20 has a win percentage of 65.5 percent in the College World Series.

Garrido has won National Coach of the Year six times and Conference Coach of the Year eight times. His teams have made the NCAA Regionals 31 times and won 25 Conference titles.  He has won seven Big 12 titles at Texas and four Big 12 Tournament titles in 17 seasons in Austin.

Kieschnick played at Texas from 1991-1993 and was a three time All- American, terrorizing the Southwest Conference from both the plate and the mound, earning Conference Player of the Year three years straight. Kieschnick was Baseball America’s Freshman of the Year in 1991 hitting .358 with 14 homeruns and 66 RBIs, while going 7-1 with a 2.58 ERA .

In 1992 he hit .345 with 10 homeruns and 68 RBIs and posted a 3.13 ERA with an 11-3 record with 81 strikeouts. That was good enough to win the Dick Howser Trophy, given to the Collegiate Player of the Year, and help lead Texas to the College World Series.

As a junior in 1993 he hit .374 with 19 homeruns and 81 RBIs and went 16-4 with 126 strikeouts and a 3.25 ERA. He won the Dick Howser Award for the second year in a row, the only player ever to do so, and was named Player of the Year by Baseball America. He led Texas back to the College World Series and threw 172 pitches in a victory over Oklahoma State.

Kieschnick was drafted 10th overall by the Chicago Cubs in the 1993 MLB Draft, making his MLB debut in 1996. In 2009 his jersey number was retired by Texas, where he ranks third all-time in the record book in homeruns and RBIs with 43 and 215 respectively.