Texas women’s tennis: Breaunna Addison wins first event of the season

Sophomore All-American Breaunna Addison won the white singles bracket in the Longhorns’ first event of the season as Texas traveled to Durham, N.C., this past weekend to compete in the Duke Invitational.

Addison started her season with four strong matches. The sophomore took the opening match (6-1, 6-2) and advanced to the finals after a pair of straight-set wins on Saturday.

Addison defeated North Carolina’s Jamie Loeb two days after losing to her in their doubles semifinal match to claim the white bracket.

“Bree played at a very high level all weekend long and lost only a few games while beating some of the top players in the nation,” assistant coach Darija Klaic said. “Today’s match against Loeb had all the characteristics of a professional tennis match. The strategy was very specific, and Bree’s impeccable execution gave her the mental edge necessary in a battle of two players with impressive tennis skills.”

After losing her first set, freshman Ratnika Batra rallied in her first collegiate match to beat Oklahoma State’s Megan McCray.

The New Delhi, India native met Miami’s Kelsey Laurente, who finished last season ranked No. 81 in the country, in the quarterfinals. The two split the first two sets before Laurente beat Batra in the third.

The team has two weeks off before they head west for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s All-American Championships in California.