Texas will cover against Iowa State but just barely

The Longhorns battled through injuries to get a much-needed win against Kansas State two weeks ago, but there’s no reason to have a rush of confidence. Linebacker Jordan Hicks is out for the season, Daje Johnson is back but Mike Davis is questionable and David Ash’s head injury will keep him from playing this week and will be a serious cause for concern for the rest of the year. Still, Iowa State is one of the worst teams in the Big 12. If Texas were to only win one road game all season, this would be it. As long as they continue to rely on an emerging Johnathan Gray, who rushed for 141 yards and two touchdowns against the Wildcats, they should be able get through this week with a victory and head into the Red River Rivalry with a winning record. No blowout, but they should manage to eke out a cover of the nine-point spread.

Texas (-9) at Iowa State

Lock of the Week

Georgia (-10) at Tennessee

Aaron Murray and Co. are coming off their biggest win of the season, defeating LSU, 44-41. The victory vaulted the Bulldogs back into SEC and national title contention and title contenders should have no problems beating a Tennessee team that struggled at home against South Alabama last week. Stud running back Todd Gurley’s injury status is up in the air, but Georgia should easily win by double-digits regardless.

Upset Alert

Illinois (+10) at Nebraska

The Cornhuskers lost at home by 20 points to the only decent team they’ve played this season in a 41-21 shellacking at the hands of UCLA. The Nebraska defense has problems. They’re a dismal No. 107 in total defense and gave up 465 yards to FCS South Dakota State in their last game two weeks ago. The Illinois offense is averaging over 40 points per game and, if this contest turns into a shootout, the Fighting Illini will have a great chance to pull off the upset in Lincoln.

Darren’s record: 8-4 (.667)