Big 12 Power Rankings: West Virginia plummets after blowout loss

1. Oklahoma (5-0, last week: 1) 

The Sooners survived a late push from the Horned Frogs last weekend to remain undefeated and atop these rankings. While Oklahoma was able to escape with a win, quarterback Blake Bell struggled to get into a rhythm, failing to score a touchdown for the first time since taking over as the starter. He’ll look to get back on track this weekend in the annual Red River Rivalry.

2. Baylor (4-0, last week: 2)

Just when you thought the Bears couldn’t be any more productive, they casually hung 72 points on the Mountaineers defense last weekend. Baylor is now averaging more than 70 points per game. While Bryce Petty and Lache Seastrunk are getting the national attention, the Bears offensive line is equally as responsible for the offense’s early-season success.

3. Texas Tech (5-0, last week: 3)

The quarterback carousel keeps spinning in Lubbock but the Red Raiders offense hasn’t skipped a beat. Baker Mayfield left last Saturday’s blowout victory over Kansas with a knee injury so now it’s up to freshman Davis Webb and Michael Brewer to run the offense. They’ll have a couple weeks to get things sorted out before they play four of their last five games against the other teams in the top five of this list.

4. Oklahoma State (4-1, last week: 4)

The Cowboys erased a six-point deficit late in the fourth quarter last Saturday to squeak past a lowly Kansas State squad. They came out victorious, but it was yet another poor performance from the Pokes. J.W. Walsh has been unimpressive and Oklahoma State offense’s doesn’t have its trademark explosiveness.

5. Texas (3-2, last week: 6)

It took a Hail Mary and some help from the officials, but the Longhorns escaped Ames with a win last Saturday, setting up a Red River Rivalry between conference unbeatens. It’s been pretty ugly in Austin this year, but if Mack Brown and Co. can knock off the Sooners, all will be well on the 40 Acres. If Texas gets stomped as it has the past couple years, Brown might as well start planning for retirement.

6. TCU (2-3, last week: 7)

Perhaps the best three-loss team in the country, the Horned Frogs have yet to lose by more than 10 points and each of their losses have come against a team currently ranked in the Top 25. Heck, they’ve looked more impressive in all three of their losses then they have in either of their victories. TCU should have no trouble getting its first Big 12 victory this weekend against Kansas.

7. West Virginia (3-3, last week: 5)

The Mountaineers have been the most inconsistent squad in the Big 12 thus far. Baylor blew out Dana Holgorsen’s bunch last week, only a couple weeks after they were shredded by Maryland. Sandwiched between those two losses? An upset victory over then-No. 11 Oklahoma State. They’re looking for another upset against Texas Tech this weekend.

8. Kansas State (2-3, last week: 8)

Daniel Sams struggled mightily in his first start of the season, as the Wildcats still can’t get any consistency from their quarterbacks. Things could go from bad to worse for Bill Snyder and his team as Baylor visits Manhattan this weekend.

9. Kansas (2-2, last week: 9)

Despite a blowout loss, Kansas holds onto the ninth spot on this list thanks to another loss by Iowa State. But with TCU, Oklahoma, Baylor, Texas and Oklahoma State next on the schedule, it’s only a matter of time before the Jayhawks find themselves back in the cellar.

10. Iowa State (1-3, last week: 10)

The Cyclones snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against the Longhorns last Saturday. While Iowa State does appear to be improving each week, the talent just isn’t there for the Cyclones to be competitive in the Big 12 this season.