Texas Longhorns in the NFL Week 6

MarquiseGoodwin
The Associated Press

I’ve done a few baseball blogs in a row, and now it’s time to get back into football mode. Former Texas Longhorns players had a pretty nice showing in the NFL’s Week 6. Here are a few standouts from Sunday’s games.

Marquise Goodwin (Buffalo Bills, wide receiver) 

Goodwin is finally back for the Bills after fracturing his hand in Week 1. Whenever he plays, he not only gives the Bills a dangerous deep threat, but also has home run ability on kick and punt returns. On Sunday, at home against the Cincinnati Bengals, Goodwin was targeted three times and hauled in two passes for 51 yards and a touchdown, including a 40-yard touchdown reception. On special teams he was even more lethal, gaining a total of 94 yards on four returns. Although the Bengals won 27-24, the speedy Goodwin left his mark on the game.

Jamaal Charles (Kansas City Chiefs, running back)

Charles had another relatively inefficient day on the ground on Sunday. He needed 22 carries to gain 78 yards, but he got the ball in the end zone twice for the Chiefs. He contributed five receptions for 50 yards. Charles played no small part in continuing the Chiefs’ perfect season with a win at home over the Oakland Raiders, 24-7. While he hasn’t quite been the explosive runner we are used to seeing, he is contributing much more in the passing game. He’s always had good hands for a running back, and that makes him even more valuable.

Kenny Vaccaro (New Orleans Saints, safety)

Vaccaro and the Saints’ defense played well against Tom Brady and the Patriots on Sunday. Vaccaro helped limit the still-potent Patriots’ offense to just 376 yards on 83 plays. Brady was flustered all afternoon, as Vaccaro and the Saints’ tight secondary coverage paved the way for the front seven’s five sacks. In typical fashion, Brady engineered a last-minute drive to steal the win at home, 30-27. The Saints’ defense isn’t the first victim and certainly won’t be the last of Brady’s clutch gene.