Big 12 Power Rankings: TCU continues to struggle

1. Baylor (6-0, 3-0 Big 12)

After “struggling” against Kansas State, the Bears’ high-powered offense got back on track with a 71-point performance against lowly Iowa State. Baylor checked in at No. 8 in the initial BCS rankings and has a chance to enter the national championship conversation if they win out and get some help along the way.

2. Texas Tech (7-0, 4-0)

The Red Raiders trailed heading into the fourth quarter for the first time all season in Morgantown, but an impressive comeback led by freshman quarterback Davis Webb kept Tech’s perfect record intact. Webb was stellar in just his second career start, throwing for over 400 yards, two scores and no interceptions. He’ll be put to the test yet again this weekend in Norman.

3. Texas (4-2, 3-0)

A couple weeks after winning their first Golden Hat since 2009, the Longhorns head back to the Metroplex for a matchup with the Horned Frogs. The talent has been there all season, but Texas appears to be finding its identity now. Johnathan Gray and Malcolm Brown are making the Longhorns’ backfield as good as any in the country and the veteran offensive line is beginning to live up to expectations.

4. Oklahoma (6-1, 3-1)

The Sooners bounced back from their devastating Red River Rivalry loss with an easy win over Kansas, but the passing game continues to struggle. Their biggest play of the day came on a wide receiver pass while quarterback Blake Bell threw for only 131 yards. They’ll need more from him against Baylor and Texas Tech the next two weeks.

5. Oklahoma State (5-1, 2-1)

As bad as the quarterback play has been in Norman, it’s been worse in Stillwater. The Cowboys beat TCU, but quarterbacks Clint Chelf and J.W. Walsh combined for no touchdowns and three interceptions in the game. They’ll need to be a whole lot better if they hope to get a win in Lubbock in a couple weeks.

6. West Virginia (3-4, 1-3)

The Mountaineers showed some promise in their loss against Texas Tech, leading most of the game. With all four teams below them on this list still on their schedule, there is still time for West Virginia to turn their season around and get into a bowl game.

7. TCU (3-4, 1-3)

The Horned Frogs continue to be the biggest disappointment in the Big 12, if not in the whole country. Casey Pachall’s return can’t come quick enough, as Trevone Boykin continues to struggle as the starting quarterback. If they don’t beat Texas this week, their chances to earn a bowl berth will be very slim.

8. Kansas State (2-4, 0-3)

The Wildcats’ conference record is a little misleading as their three Big 12 losses have come to Baylor, Texas and Oklahoma State by an average of just eight points per game. With that being said, a loss is a loss and if Bill Snyder’s bunch can’t beat West Virginia this weekend, their postseason dreams are all but crushed.

9. Kansas (2-4, 0-3)

Despite passing for just 16 yards, the Jayhawks held their own against Oklahoma last weekend, leading midway through the second quarter and pulling to within six points of the lead early in the fourth. Unfortunately for head coach Charlie Weis, Baylor comes to town this week. Can they hold the Bears under 70 points?

10. Iowa State (1-5, 0-3)

Through their first five games, the Cyclones hadn’t lost a game by more than eight points. That changed in Waco, where Baylor scored more than 10 times as many points as Iowa State. No, that is not a misprint. Giving up 71 to the Bears was hardly a surprise, but the Cyclones offense was even worse, tallying just 174 total yards while turning the ball over three times.