Boykin, Catalon make for a mobile TCU backfield while Hackett has been a takeaway machine

The Associated Press

RB B.J. Catalon (So.)

The sophomore running back is the leading rusher for an offense that averages 139.1 rushing yards per game, putting them at No. 94 in the nation. Although quarterback Trevone Boykin has amassed the most carries for TCU, B.J. Catalon has racked up 359 rushing yards to go along with a team-high five touchdowns. Catalon is a speedy back who opens the passing game for Boykin with his ability to pick up yards on the outside. Catalon is also a valuable kick returner for the Horned Frogs, compiling 404 yards on 15 returns this season, including a touchdown. While Texas will have to keep an eye on Catalon on special teams, his 5.2 yards per carry average is the number the Longhorns should focus on the most leading into this game.

DB Chris Hackett (So.)

The TCU defense has outplayed its offense this season, by far, giving up only 21.7 points per game, good enough for No. 31 in the nation. The Horned Frogs’ ability to create turnovers is a big reason for this defensive play and Chris Hackett has played a big role in that. Hackett is a second-year safety who leads the team in tackles with 47 and is tied for the lead in interceptions with three. The tall safety has also tallied two sacks and two forced fumbles on the season. Whatever the defense needs on any given play, Hackett has proven the ability to deliver it. He is a big safety who is not afraid to get physical and has the speed to cover receivers when coverage breaks down. Case McCoy should beware of Hackett when dropping back in the pocket.

QB Trevone Boykin (So.)

His numbers may not appear very impressive at first glance, but it should be noted that Trevone Boykin has been taken over for injured starter Casey Pachall for five weeks now and has done a decent job. The Horned Frogs are 2-3 with Boykin under center this season, with two of those losses coming to Top 25 teams in conference play. Boykin has passed for 1,152 yards and five touchdowns and seven interceptions. He is second on the team with 293 rushing yards, revealing his ability to run the football when needed. Texas often has problems with mobile quarterbacks, which was especially evident against BYU, so the Longhorns will need to do a good job of keeping Boykin in the pocket. His numbers won’t blow you away but he will touch the ball more than any TCU player in this game and his athleticism gives him a chance to hurt the Longhorns if they aren’t careful.