Longhorns lose to Texas Tech in regular season finale

Texas soccer finished its regular season campaign with a 1-0 loss at No. 12 Texas Tech on Friday night.

While sophomore goalie Abby Smith had one of her best games of the year, an early misplay doomed the Longhorns.

In the third minute, Smith misjudged a long Red Raiders pass, allowing Tech’s Janine Beckie to put home an uncontested goal. Bouncing back, Smith redeemed herself with saves in the 16th and 20th minute to keep the Texas Tech lead to only one point.

But the Longhorn offense found it difficult to get anything going against the Red Raiders. After outshooting opponents 269 to 168 coming into the match, Texas only managed to fire off eight total shots and only two of those coming on goal, both in the first half.

The Red Raiders, on the other hand, had no problem with their offense, firing off 17 total shots, including eight shots on goal. Beckie led Texas Tech with three shots on goal and the lone goal of the game.

It was also a physical game with both teams combining for 25 fouls and six yellow cards. Sophomore forward Kelsey Shimmick received a red card in the 77th minute for a high boot into the Red Raider goalie.

With the loss, Texas (12-5-2, 5-2-1 Big 12) finishes third in the Big 12, the highest its finished in the conference since 2007. The Longhorns’ conference record is the team’s best since 2008.

Texas will face Oklahoma State in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament on Wednesday at 2 p.m. in Kansas City, Mo. The Longhorns managed a draw in their lone meeting against the Cowgirls in Stillwater, Okla., earlier this year.