Longhorns upset by Cowgirls in first round of Big 12 tournament

The Longhorns — who had only lost twice in Big 12 play this season — bowed out of the Big 12 tournament in the first round after a 2-1 loss to Oklahoma State.

Oklahoma State’s Krissi Killion opened the scoring in the 20th off an assist by Madison Mercado. Texas took only three minutes to find an equalizer when sophomore forward Chantale Campbell headed home a cross from freshman forward Jasmine Hart.

The Cowgirls regained the lead just under nine minutes into the second half when freshman forward Courtney Dike was able to get around sophomore goalie Abby Smith to easily slide the ball into the net. 

Despite outshooting the Cowgirls 15-6 in the second half, including firing off four shots in the final minute of the game, the Longhorns couldn’t level the score. Texas came close to an equalizer in the 74th minute but was called for a foul.

Texas created a number of opportunities for scoring, attempting 19 total shots, nine of which were on goal, and won eight corner kicks. But Oklahoma State goalie Michela Ongaro and the Cowgirls’ defense proved to be too much, only allowing one goal and successfully defending the barrage of shots late in the game.

The Longhorns finish the season 12-6-2 and will now have to wait until Monday to determine whether or not they will play in the NCAA tournament.