Signing Day recap for class of 2014

Baseball
Courtesy Photo

After securing the No. 2 recruiting class in 2013, one which included infielder Brent Boswell, Texas will add 10 accomplished players in 2014.

Texas athletics has been busy lately recruiting a solid batch of talent for the class of 2014. Here’s a look at the signings from each sport.

Baseball

Last Thursday, the Longhorn baseball team secured 10 National Letters of Intent for the class of 2014. The group includes four pitchers and six positional players with eight of those players playing high school ball in Texas. 

The four pitchers, all right-handed, include Kyle Johnston (Flower Mound), Connor Mayes (Austin), Parker Joe Robinson (Coto de Caza, Calif.) and Tyler Schimpf (Citrus Heights, Calif.). A pair of catchers will be added in Michael Cantu (Corpus Christi) and Michael McCann (Round Rock), two infielders in Joe Baker (McKinney) and Travis Jones (Humble), while outfielder Patrick Mathis (Venus) and shortstop Kaleb Denny (Baytown) comprise the remaining recruits. 

Softball 

Alyssa Angel, Kristen Clark, Randel Leahy and Erica Wright all inked National Letters of Intent with Texas for the 2014-15 season. 

The squad will gain two right-handed pitchers in Wright and Clark with the latter boasting a decorated resume, winning the District 23-4A Pitcher of the Year in 2012 and 2013 while gathering a 28-1 record with an ERA of 0.67 over the last two seasons.

Angel and Leahy both played a bit of outfield in high school, while Angel will most likely see time at shortstop for the Longhorns. 

Men’s Basketball 

The men’s basketball team received a pair of commitments from forwards Jordan Barnett (St. Louis, Mo.) and Obie Oleka (Washington, D.C.), both of whom will join the team for the 2014-15 season. 

Barnett, a 6-foot-7-inch senior from Christian Brothers College High school in Missouri, is ranked 83rd in the nation by ESPN. As a junior last season, Barnett led CBC High with 17.1 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.7 blocked shots per game while hitting 37.6 percent of his three-point attempts.

Oleka is a 6-foot-7-inch forward from State College of Florida and will enroll as a junior at Texas next season. He averaged 10.9 points and 6.2 rebounds per game as a freshman last season. 

Women’s Basketball 

Karen Aston has notched another Top 10 recruting class, with her 2014 class rated No. 10 by ESPN. 

The Longhorns signed one forward in Diani Akigbogun (Aurora, Colo.), who was named the 2012-13 Gatorade Colorado Player of the Year after recording 13 double-doubles and averaged 14.2 points and 8.1 rebounds per game as a junior. 

Texas also signed three guards in Ariel Atkins (Duncanville), Tasia Foman (Duncanville) and Brooke McCarty (League City). All three are highly ranked by ESPN, with Atkins and McCarty coming in at No. 4 and No. 29 respectively. 

Men’s Golf

The Texas men’s golf team notched three signees for the class of 2014 in Taylor Funk, Doug Ghim and Scottie Scheffler.

Funk is a 2013 2A Florida State Champion who played for Ponte Vedra High School in Florida. Ghim, from Arlington Heights, Ill. was ranked the No. 5 junior of the class of 2014 by Golfweek. Scheffler, a native of Dallas, was ranked No. 1 by Golfweek and won the 2013 U.S. Junior Amateur at Martis Camp Club in July. 

Men’s Tennis 

The Longhorn men’s tennis team signed one player to the class of 2014 with the addition of John Mee, a senior from Highland Park.

Mee is ranked No. 21 by TennisRecruiting.net and No. 14 by the USTA in the class of 2014.