Texas runs Big 12 table, finishes conference season undefeated after win against Baylor

For the first time since the Big 12’s formation, top-ranked Texas ran the table in conference to finish 16-0 after a sweep of Baylor (25-20, 25-16, 25-14) Saturday.

Behind the junior All-American outside Haley Eckerman’s 20 kills, Texas (23-2, 16-0 Big 12) rolled to another easy victory just as they have done all season in front of a record crowd of 4,392—the largest since the 1998 renovation.

In the first game, Baylor (12-20, 4-12 Big 12) hung around with Texas evening the score at 18 apiece. But Texas closed the game well, going on a 7-2 run. Sophomore middle Molly McCage and senior outside Bailey Webster recorded three blocks each.

Baylor didn’t hang around in the second game as they did in the first. Texas went on a 9-0 run midway through the game to take control. With a sizable 18-9 cushion, they were able to coast until Eckerman ended it with a kill.

Despite Texas’ dominance through the match, head coach Jerritt Elliott saw many things to work on.

“[Zoe Adom] is careering right now,” Elliott said of Adom’s  11 kills through two games. “We need to make some adjustments with the block.”

And Texas made the adjustments, starting the match on a 9-1 run. As Texas has proven game in and game out, once they have a lead, it’s tough for teams to come back. Despite Adom’s continued success, Baylor found little other help as they barely even dented that big Texas lead before falling by 11.

Texas continues to action Thursday and Friday in the NCAA first and second rounds in Gregory Gym. The brackets will be determined Sunday night, as Texas looks like a lock to land a No. 1 seed.