Texas Football Notebook: Daje Johnson returns

After sitting out a one-game suspension, sophomore wide receiver Daje Johnson is ready to return to the field. Johnson, along with fullback Chet Moss, sat out against Texas Tech for an unspecified violation of team rules.

This is the second violation of team rules for Johnson, who missed the 2012 season opener against Wyoming for the same reason. A main focus at the beginning of the season for the sophomore was that his issues were behind him, and he had grown in his maturity. Unfortunately, after suffering an ankle injury against BYU earlier in the season, Johnson has had limited big play production, and those issues resurfaced.

The Pflugerville native is listed back in his usual wide receiver position, and head coach Mack Brown said he will also be back in the mix on punt and kickoff returns.

Steve Edmond out for the season

Junior linebacker Steve Edmond suffered a lacerated liver in last Thursday’s Thanksgiving matchup and will miss the rest of the season. Edmond was injured after he took a hard block to the rib area in the second quarter, which caused him to leave the game.

Edmond leads the team in tackles with 73 and has also tallied two interceptions this season. Brown said he expects the junior to be fully ready to play again in the spring.

Edmond’s injury further thins the linebacker front for Texas, as senior Jordan Hicks and junior Tevin Jackson are also out with injuries. The Longhorns now look at sophomore Peter Jinkins, redshirt freshman Timothy Cole and junior Kendall Thompson to step up in Edmond’s place.

Texas to close out Floyd Casey Stadium

The Longhorns’ game against Baylor on Saturday will be the last contest played at the Bears’ Floyd Casey Stadium.

The Waco stadium, which opened in 1950, was first named Baylor Stadium and has become a staple of Baylor athletics. Texas fans usually flock to the oval-shaped stadium when the Longhorns make an appearance in Waco, bringing, at times, about 25,000 to 30,000 fans in burnt orange.

The tarp, which usually covers the seats in the south end zone at the stadium, will be lifted for the season finale. 

Texas has a 29-15-2 record in Waco in the 102-game series and will look to add one more to the win column as it tries for at least a share of the Big 12 title.

“I think it’s a great story line,” senior offensive lineman Mason Walters said. “We like that opportunity. We like our odds, [and we’re] looking forward to a great game. [With] that being the last in Floyd Casey Stadium, it will just be a great environment.”