Seniors lead Longhorns in every phase

STOCK UP:

DE Jackson Jeffcoat (SR.)

Prior to the Texas Tech game on Thanksgiving, Jeffcoat had already logged two multi-sack games en route to a total of seven on the season. Apparently that wasn’t enough for the senior, who feasted on Red Raiders quarterbacks all night. By game’s end, Jeffcoat had added three more sacks — a career-high — bringing his season total to a whopping 10. If Texas is going to disrupt Baylor’s explosive offense, it’s going to need another huge effort from Jeffcoat.

WR Mike Davis (SR.)

Three weeks ago, Davis was in the midst of a three-game swoon during which he had four catches for 99 yards and a touchdown. Oh, how quickly things can change. The senior wideout has been on a tear the past three games, racking up a total of 16 catches for 315 yards and three touchdowns. Davis has done most of his damage on big plays, as he has had a catch of at least 40 yards in all of those games. He has a career-high eight touchdowns on the season with two contests remaining, including a bowl game.

K/P Anthony Fera (SR.)

As Nick Saban and Alabama can attest to, you only notice a kicker when he’s not doing his job — and boy, that can hurt you. Fera has been nothing short of spectacular this season, making 19 of his 20 field goal attempts, including five of six from at least 40 yards. Considering the fact that he also handles the punting duties for the Longhorns, the senior has shown he is a one-man weapon on special teams.

STOCK DOWN:

RB/WR Daje Johnson (SO.)

Daje Johnson just can’t catch a break. After a scintillating start to the season when he had over 120 total yards and two touchdowns against New Mexico State, the sophomore out of Pflugerville has been plagued by injuries and a lack of production. Things hit rock bottom for him last week, when he was suspended for the Texas Tech game for a violation of team rules. In the seven games he has appeared in since the season opener, Johnson has a combined 160 yards of total offense.

Texas Punt Return Coverage

Falling for a fake punt is one thing — but letting a punter run 51 yards for a touchdown is on another level. Was anyone else feeling a little queasy watching Tech punter Ryan Erxleben throw up the “shhhh” sign — an index finger over his mouth — after he rumbled into the end zone? Fortunately, that nausea was alleviated once the Longhorns reeled off 41 of the game’s final 50 points.