Texas Longhorns Volleyball prepared for Sweet 16 battle

2013-11-30_Texas_vs_Baylor_Chelsea_Purgahn33355

The Longhorns continue their road to Seattle Friday night at 6 p.m. against American University in Lincoln, NE. If Longhorns survive that game, they will continue Saturday against the winner of No. 8 Nebraska vs. No. 9 San Diego, both of whom Texas has beat earlier in the year in five sets.

But their sights aren’t set on the Saturday’s top-ten rematch just yet.

"It's interesting. But we haven't looked that far,” All American outside Bailey Webster said. “We are just focused on American right now."

American (34-2), owns the best record of any team in the tournament and has won 16 games in a row, is one of the surprises of the tournament so far. After rolling through an easy regular season schedule, they surprised many with sweeps against Georgia and No. 16 Duke in the first two rounds. Texas (25-2), who has won 21 straight of their own, will play American for the first time in the program’s history.

"We know that American is a really good team,” Webster said. “We've got to see them play a little bit in their previous match. We all think that they are a great team. We have respect for them. We think that all four teams here have a reason for being here."

Texas seeks its eighth straight regional semifinal victory. Overall in the “Sweet 16,” they are 18-6.

The first game will be on ESPN3.com. Saturday’s match will be aired on ESPNU.

"We're excited to be here,” Elliott said. “The program doesn't take for granted how hard it is to get to the Sweet 16. We get to play in front of a great crowd and it's going to be a great four teams that are going to be here. We expect there to be some high level volleyball."