Texas looks to extend win streak against TCU

2014-01-16_basketballvkansas_Lauren
Lauren Ussery

Sophomore forward Nneka Enemkpali has been the most dominating player on the court for the Longhorns this season, leading the team in both points and rebounds per game. 

The Longhorns won a grand total of 12 games last year. This year they already have 12 wins — thanks to a victory over Kansas on Wednesday — and they have about half of the season still left to play. 

The biggest difference since last season, according to sophomore forward Imani McGee-Stafford, is that, “we have depth and we all buy in.” The depth has been developed at practice, as head coach Karen Aston has been switching up the starting roster, giving every player a chance to earn playing time. 

“These players are competing in practice for playing time,” Aston said. “And it’s a blood bath sometimes, and that’s how you know you have some good things going your way and you know you can get better.”

Texas is looking to stay on its path toward improvement with a win against TCU on Sunday. If the winning momentum and development at practice continues, the team can easily do so.

TCU has struggled to find energy early on this season. The Longhorns will need to take advantage and find an early cushion incase they go back to their habit of relaxing at the eight-minute mark or coming into the second half.

“They need to understand that Big 12 teams aren’t just going to give up and let you win,” Aston said.

TCU is coming off a loss against No. 11 Oklahoma State, giving Texas the advantage in momentum. Although the Horned Frogs may start slow, they have been known to come back after the half with a sense of urgency and power. They did just that against Oklahoma, but still couldn’t manage to come back from the hole they put themselves in.

TCU also has the home court advantage. The Horned Frogs have won nine of 10 games played in Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. If Texas becomes the 10th win at home for TCU, it will break the Longhorns’ 33-game win streak against the Horned Frogs, which dates back to Jan. 23, 1976.

If Texas comes out strong and utilizes its high-caliber defense on Sunday, it should easily increase its win streak to 34.