Texas women’s basketball notches first road win of the season over Kansas

2014-01-25_TexasvsVirginia_Shweta
Shweta Gulati

Texas senior guard Chassidy Fussell and the Longhorns earned their first conference win Tuesday night over Kansas. 

The women’s basketball team can finally say they’ve won a Big 12 matchup on the road.

Texas had beaten Kansas once before this season, but that was at home. Tuesday’s victory over the Jayhawks was much more than that — it was a road victory.

Until Tuesday night, the Longhorns were winless in conference games on the road this season. Texas had lost each conference road game by single-digit margins, but last night it put Kansas away by double digits in an 80-55 win. When head coach Karen Aston said in a previous post-game conference that “execution down the stretch” and keeping energy up in the final minutes of games would determine the outcomes of the remaining conference matchups, she was right.

The first half was relatively tight with 10 lead changes and two ties, but Texas managed to go into the half with a 38-34 lead. 

The second period was a completely different story. Texas kicked up its defense and had the game locked away with 13 minutes to play. 

Texas found increased energy in the second half, but both teams were incredibly shot-happy behind the three-point line throughout. Kansas took 24 shots from the three-point line at 33.3 percent and Texas took 27 at 58.8 percent. In its last meeting, Kansas had a total of 15 three-point attempts to Texas’ 14.

Texas’ defining road win is exactly what the Longhorns needed going into a test at No. 9 Baylor on Saturday. The Longhorns now know they can win on the road and need to channel that confidence and momentum to overcome their biggest challenge of the season — the Bears.