Houston Texans Mock Draft 1.0

After two consecutive trips to the playoffs, 2013 was supposed to be the year the Houston Texans made their run to the Super Bowl.

Unfortunately for Texan fans, the season that transpired was far from Super Bowl worthy. The team was in complete disarray throughout the year and ownership parted ways with head coach Gary Kubiak mid-season.

In January, Houston hired former Penn State head coach Bill O’Brien to fill the vacancy. O’Brien has a chance to turn the Texans’ fortunes around with a great draft.

Here’s our first Houston Texans mock draft for the team’s first five rounds:

Pick No. 1: QB Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M)

The Texans are in desperate need of a quarterback. Matt Schaub performed horribly in 2013. Schaub threw 14 interceptions in 10 games and was replaced by back-up Case Keenum.

With the first pick in the draft, the Texans have three replacements to choose from – Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville), and Blake Bortles (UCF).

Fans have been pleading for Houston to pick Manziel. The former Aggie possesses great speed and is great in the open field. His passing has also improved over the past two seasons as quarterback at A&M. But Manziel’s knack for making big plays is what sets him apart from Bridgewater and Bortles.  

Pick No. 33: OT Cyrus Kouandjio (Alabama)

In 2013, Houston’s quarterbacks were sacked 42 times, so the offensive line is clearly a need in this year’s draft.

Alabama’s Cyrus Kouandjio is an interesting prospect. Kouandjio is a 6’4”, 312-pound monster offensive tackle. He has great strength and is described as a “mauler” by many scouts.

Kouandjio is projected to be a late first round or early second round pick. If he is still on the board in the second, the Texans would be foolish to pass on him.

Pick No. 65: RB Ka’Deem Carey (Arizona)

The Texans’ running game was non-existent after Arian Foster suffered a season ending back injury last year. Backup Ben Tate wasn’t able to pick up the slack and the offense suffered as a result.

The 2014 running back class is deep but it lacks star power. Early draft predictions show that Ka’Deem Carey (Arizona), Lache Seastrunk (Baylor) and Andre Williams (Boston College) could all still be on the board early in the third round.

Ka’Deem Carey would be a valuable pick for the Texans in the third round.

Pick No. 97: S Terrence Brooks (Florida State)

At some point in the draft, the Texans need to address their defensive weaknesses. Houston could go with a defensive lineman or choose to pick up a defensive back.

Terrence Brooks is a potential steal if he falls from his mid-third round projection. If Brooks isn’t there, the Texans could wait until the sixth or seventh round to pick up a defensive back because their value isn’t as high in the mid-rounds.

Pick No. 129: DE Kareem Martin (North Carolina)

With their fifth round pick, the Texans should continue to add to their defense. A defensive end would be a great addition. The Texans need someone to play opposite of J.J. Watt.

Kareem Martin is a proven run stopper, is capable of disrupting the passing game and has a big frame that could continue to develop at the next level.