Weekend sports previews: men’s and women’s golf and men’s tennis

Men's golf

The No. 20 Texas men’s golf team will travel to Humble on Friday as the returning champ to play in the annual Bayou City Collegiate Championship, hosted by the University of Houston and Rice.

Tee times for the event start at 10 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, with a shotgun start on Sunday at 8:30 a.m. The tournament will be held at the Golf Club of Houston (par 72, 6,982 yards). 

The Longhorns will face several higher-ranked teams: No. 17 Houston, No. 19 South Florida and No. 25 Arkansas. 

Last year, the championship was held at the Redstone Golf Club (par 72, 6,982 yards), where Texas — then No. 2 — came in first with a 21-stroke victory.

Texas came in seventh at its first tournament of the season, The Amer Ari Invitational, which was held on Feb. 8 in Waikoloa, Hawaii.

Live standings of the championship can be found at www.golfstat.com.

Women's golf

The women’s golf team managed a season-high 11th place finish in its last competition, the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge. Texas began the tournament shooting a shaky 23-over par, but rebounded in the final two rounds with a combined score of 25-over par.

Shooting a team-low 6-over par, junior Bertine Strauss buoyed the charge for the Longhorns. The mark notched her a 15th place finish, which tied for her season-best. Teammate and midseason enrollee Lara Weinstein finished six strokes behind Strauss to finish tied in 35th place for her debut.

The Longhorns will look to get back into the swing of things this weekend when they head to New Orleans on Sunday for the Allstate Sugar Bowl.

Men's tennis

Coming out of the ITA National Team Indoor Championship last Sunday, the Texas men’s tennis team had a six-day break until its next match, which will be held against UT-Arlington on Sunday at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center at noon. Texas is now nationally ranked in the ITA Rankings at No. 6 after defeating California.

In addition to their upcoming match against UT-Arlington, the Longhorns are scheduled to play Texas A&M-Corpus Christi later that evening at 6 p.m. Just like the match against UT-Arlington, the second match of the day will also be held at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center.