Women’s basketball hopes to keep party going against Texas Tech

2014-02-26_Texas_vs_TCU_Jonathan
Jonathan Garza

Sophomore Imani McGee-Stafford is second on the team in points this season, averaging 10.2 points per game.

It’s been a week of celebrations for the women’s basketball team. 

The ladies rang in sophomore guard Brandy Sanders’ 21st birthday Tuesday, and came back to protect the drum and defeat TCU that same day, breaking their three-game losing streak. And on Wednesday, the team celebrated sophomore guard Empress Davenport’s birthday. 

Theoretically, Texas should have no trouble keeping the party going with an easy win over Texas Tech on Saturday at 2 p.m. in Lubbock. The Red Raiders are the lowest-ranked team in the Big 12. Tech has managed to put up a fight against teams, forcing the occasional overtime, but the Raiders have no conference wins. 

In the Raiders’ meeting with the Longhorns earlier this season, the Texas Tech defense was nearly invisible to Texas. The Longhorns shot 75 percent from the field in the first half, which is the highest shooting percentage for Texas in a half this season. Additionally, Texas’ 51 points in the first period were the highest this season.

But as head coach Karen Aston always stresses, it’s the Big 12, and no team is just going to roll over and give up. Texas came out slow against low-ranked TCU, but it can’t afford to do so against Texas Tech.