Texas Junior Day impresses 2015 prospects

Although Texas still has only seven verbal commits for its 2015 recruiting class, the Longhorns’ Junior Days appeared to have made an impact on recruits.

Ryan Newsome, a wide receiver from Aledo High School, has expressed high interest in Texas and its coaching staff. The four-star athlete is a highly recruited prospect that received an offer from Texas in February and has other offers from schools, including Baylor, Florida State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Oregon. In his junior year at Aledo, the 5-foot-9-inch, 163-pound receiver recorded seven punts for touchdowns, tying a national record. Newsome helped Aledo — which also happens to be the alma mater of Longhorn sophomore running back Johnathan Gray — win its fourth state championship since 2009.

Toby Weathersby, an offensive tackle from Westfield High School in Houston, attended one of the Longhorn Junior Days. The 6-foot-4-inch, 295-pound lineman received an offer from Texas in late January. Currently, Weathersby has Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M as his top schools, and he has indicated that he might make a verbal commitment sometime in the summer.

Another Houston product, receiver Kemah Siverand plans to visit Texas and Texas A&M in the near future. Both schools have offered to the junior and are high on his list. Siverand did not attend one of Texas’ Junior Days. despite an invitation. The four-star recruit from Cypress Ridge High School caught 25 passes for 611 yards in his junior season and recorded seven touchdowns.

Among many of the prospects the Longhorns target for their 2015 class, the list includes five-star cornerback Kendall Sheffield, four-star defensive end James Lockhart and Damarkus Lodge, one of the state’s top-ranked receivers.

Defensive back Jalen Campbell verbally committed to Texas in March 2013, but reports suggest he will visit other schools and evaluate his options. The three-star commit from Flour Bluff High School in Corpus Christi suffered an ACL injury last year during a spring game.

Away from the recruiting trail, the Longhorns are about two months away from learning where former USC quarterback Max Wittek will transfer to. Wittek’s short list of options includes Texas, Hawaii and Louisville. The 20-year-old already visited Austin and stated in an interview with OrangeBloods.com that his trip exceeded expectations. The quarterback would have two years of eligibility after completing his undergraduate degree at USC.