Weekend Previews: Men and women’s tennis and women’s golf

Men's Tennis

Returning from a long weekend of victories against three different Oklahoma schools, Texas will compete against TCU on Saturday at 11:30 a.m. in the Penick-Allison Tennis Center. This will be the team’s final match at the center, which will be displaced by the Dell Medical School this summer.

The Longhorns took on Oklahoma and Oklahoma State last weekend, resulting in two 4-3 victories. Prior to the match, the Sooners were ranked No. 3 and labeled preseason conference favorite.

Along with the consecutive wins, Texas experienced another achievement this week when junior Soren Hess-Olesen was named Big 12 Player of the Week.  

Texas won its last competition against TCU, 4-2, in early March. There were more than a thousand fans in attendance at the game in Fort Worth. TCU lost to Oklahoma on Sunday.

Women's Tennis

Two weeks after a couple of dominating home wins, the women’s tennis team will travel north this weekend to face Kansas State and Kansas.

No. 24 Texas, (8-9), has won four of its last five games — including a 3-1 start in Big 12 play — going into its matchup with the Wildcats. Both Kansas State and Kansas endured home losses to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State last week. The Jayhawks lost both matches in shut-out style, which should encourage the Longhorns (1-4 combined road/neutral record).

It will be important for Texas to come out of this weekend with two victories. Texas is currently tied for third in the conference and its remaining schedule is against the other top-three teams.

No. 18 sophomore Breaunna Addison (4-0 Big 12) will likely face No. 56 Petra Niedermayerova (3-1 Big 12). Last season Addison defeated the then top-15 Wildcat.

Texas begins road play Saturday in Manhattan, Kan., at 11 a.m. 

Women's Golf

After a week off, the women’s golf team returns to the course this weekend in Tempe, Ariz., for the PING/ASU Invitational. At the final tournament before the Big 12 Championship on April 25, the Longhorns will face conference competition in No. 5 Oklahoma, as well as top-10 ranked teams Arizona State, Arizona, UCLA, Duke, Stanford and South Carolina.

Facing a lineup full of tough competition, the team will look to season leader junior Bertine Strauss to lead the team to a top finish. The team recorded its season-best finish at the Farms Collegiate Invitational on March 26, landing in the top 10 for the first and only time this season. 

The Horns look to make that two this weekend, teeing off round one of the tournament Friday morning.