Big 12 Baseball: Early Season Review

It’s finally April and college baseball is in full swing.

Who would’ve thought that the Texas Tech Red Raiders would have accrued the most wins in the Big 12 in early April?

Tech now trails Texas by one for the conference lead in wins after last weekends’ series in Lubbock, where the Longhorns beat the Red Raiders and snapped their conference losing streak dating back to April 2012.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State have performed well so far with 20 wins apiece this season.

The two in-state rivals both stand in the top five in the Big 12 thus far this year.

Currently tied with the Sooners for the Big 12 lead, the West Virginia Mountaineers have a record of 16-8 and are currently on a four game winning streak.

Here is how the conference standings look as of this morning, with overall record followed by conference record:

1. Oklahoma 20-10 (4-3)
  2. West Virginia 16-8 (2-1)
  3. Texas 23-7 (4-3)
  4. Oklahoma State 20-9 (4-3)
  5. Kansas State 17-11 (2-2)
  6. Baylor 15-13 (4-5)
  7. Kansas 19-10 (3-4)
  8. TCU 16-12 (3-4)
  9. Texas Tech 23-9 (4-6)

As it stands, Texas, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are ranked ins the top 25 in the latest USA Today Coaches’ Poll.

Now that non-conference play is out of the way, the month of April will feature Big 12 play every weekend of the month.

When it’s all said and done, I think the standings will look like this:

1. Texas
  2. Oklahoma State
  3. Oklahoma
  4. Texas Tech
  5. West Virginia
  6. Kansas
  7. Baylor
  8. TCU
  9. Kansas State

Pitching and experience are what separate this year’s teams in the Big 12, and the leaders in those two categories are the Sooners, Cowboys, Red Raiders, and Longhorns.

Texas currently leads the conference in run differential, allowing only 59 runs while scoring 138.

West Virginia may pose a threat considering they are undefeated at home, but it simply doesn’t have enough talent to muster its way into the top three.

Keep an eye on Texas, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma down the stretch. Things could get very close as the conference season wraps up in early May and in all likelihood, we will see each of these teams in the post season this year.