Jordan Spieth finishes second in Masters, three shots behind Bubba Watson

AP Exchange

Jordan Spieth hits out of a bunker on the 10th hole during the fourth round of the Masters Golf Tournament on Sunday in Augusta, Ga. 

Former Longhorn Jordan Spieth finished second in his first ever Masters appearance Sunday.

Spieth, a Dallas native, finished the tournament at five under par, three strokes behind Bubba Watson’s -8, which won Watson his second green jacket. 

Spieth, 20, led the field after seven holes Sunday but never regained the lead after bogeying the eighth and ninth holes. He finished tied for second with Sweden’s Jonas Blixt, who was also playing at Augusta for the first time.

Had Spieth won, he would have been the youngest golfer ever to win the Masters.

“I feel like I’m ready to win,” Spieth said. “Maybe I just need a little bit of course knowledge.”

Spieth spent three semesters at Texas, from August 2011 until he went pro in December 2012. He led the Longhorns to an NCAA National Championship in his freshman season and was named Big 12 Player of the Year and a first-team All-American that year.

In his time at Texas, Spieth won three tournaments and recorded 11 top-10 finishes in just 15 tournament appearances.

Since going pro, Spieth has taken the PGA Tour by storm, often drawing comparisons to a young Tiger Woods. When he claimed the John Deere Classic last July, Spieth became the youngest player to win a tour event since 1931. He has nine top-10 finishes as a professional.