Dallas Cowboys Mock Draft 2.0

The Dallas Cowboys have had a lackluster offseason. Due to its salary cap issues, Dallas couldn’t do too much to bolster its roster. In order to create cap space, the Cowboys parted ways with their all-time sack leader DeMarcus Ware during free agency.

In an attempt to replace Ware, Dallas added defensive tackles Henry Melton and Terrell McClain and defensive end Jeremey Mincey. The Cowboys also addressed their concerns at quarterback by picking up former first round draft pick Brandon Weeden.

While Dallas’ offseason wasn’t as successful as some hoped it would be, America’s Team still has an opportunity to improve its roster through the draft, which is less than a month away.

Here is our second Dallas Cowboys mock draft for the team’s first five rounds:

Mock Draft 2.0

Pick No. 16: S Ha’Sean Clinton-Dix (Alabama)

The Cowboys have a definite need for a defensive back in this year’s draft. Clinton-Dix would be an immediate starter for the Cowboys if selected with the 16th pick.

Clinton-Dix’s biggest strength is his ability to cover the whole field. He’s a tough, physical tackler who can make all the necessary tackles in the open field.  During the 2013 season, Clinton-Dix accumulated 30 tackles and 2 interceptions for the Alabama Crimson-Tide.

Pick No. 47: WR Jordan Matthews (Vanderbilt)

With the departure of wide receiver Miles Austin, the Cowboys are now in need of depth at receiver. While most of the Cowboys draft needs are on the defensive side of the ball, Jerry Jones’ loves to make a big offensive splash when he can.

Jordan Matthews would be a nice second round selection. Matthews is a great route runner with amazing hands. He has a great work ethic and would fit into Dallas’ pass-happy scheme.

Pick No. 78: DE Jackson Jeffcoat (Texas)

In our first Dallas Cowboys mock draft, the Cowboys selected Jeffcoat with 78th pick and I’m still sold on this move.

The Cowboys addressed some needs along the defensive line during free agency but Jeffcoat would fit into defensive line coach Rod Marinelli’s scheme.

If Jeffcoat is still on the board at pick 78, Jeffcoat would be a steal.

Pick No. 115: RB Jeremy Hills (LSU)

Running back DeMarco Murray has great success as a Cowboy when he is healthy but when he’s not healthy Dallas suffers.

The Cowboys have a solid backup in Lance Dunbar but Dunbar suffered a knee injury which sidelined him for half of the season.

Dallas selected Joseph Randle in last year’s draft but he didn’t produce as expected during the 2013 season.

It is speculated that the Cowboys are considering drafting a running back late in the draft, if Dallas chooses to, Jeremy Hills would be a solid pick. During the 2013 season, Hills ran for 1401 yards and 16 touchdowns for LSU.

Pick No. 146: QB Aaron Murray

While I tend to believe the Cowboys draft should focus on defense, it wouldn’t surprise me if Dallas were to choose a quarterback in the draft.

Although the Cowboys added Brandon Weeden in free agency and Kyle Orton is still on the roster, Dallas should draft a young quarterback to groom for the future.

If Aaron Murray is available in the fifth round, he would be a great pick for Dallas. Prior to injuring his ACL, scouts were raving over Murray but now there is concern over his knee.

It would be a risky pick but Murray has first round potential, as a fifth round pick he would be steal.