Weekend Recaps

Track and Field Recap

By Grant Gordon

The Texas track and field program competed in the Cherry and Silver Collegiate Invitational over the weekend, a two-day, unscored event hosted by the University of New Mexico.

Only 32 Longhorn athletes, including 14 first-time performers, competed in the 31-team meet.

After missing last indoor season because of injury, sophomore thrower Ryan Crouser returned to action with an impressive season debut. Crouser won the outdoor shot put title in June and is the favorite to take home the indoor championship as well.

His first meet didn’t disappoint. Crouser won the shot put easily, eclipsing the next competitor by more than five feet with a throw of 20.42 meters and nearly beating the school record of 20.50 meters.

For the women, senior sprinter Danielle Dowie finished sixth in the 400 meters with a time of 54.32 seconds in her first appearance of the season.

Women’s Tennis Recap

By Chris Caraveo 

The Longhorns persevered through a number of tiebreaks to beat Rice on Sunday, advancing to the ITA National Team Indoor Championship.

The final score read 4-1, but the matches were much closer than the scoreboard indicated.

No. 17 Texas (3-0) swept the doubles matches to gain the 1-0 advantage. Then, in singles, freshman Neda Koprcina beat Owl Liat Zimmerman in straight sets to put the Longhorns up 2-0.

Both sophomore Breaunna Addison and senior Elizabeth Begley went to third-set super tiebreaks in their respective singles matches. Addison and Beazant alternated points before Addison broke through with the 10-8 decision.

Begley clinched the match for Texas with her own 10-8 third-set win over Dominique Harmath. The senior held off Harmath’s comeback while up 8-5.

The two points were crucial for the Longhorns to maintain control of their own destiny. 

The team hosts top-ranked Stanford on Friday.

Men's Tennis Recap

By Chris Caraveo

With a third-set tiebreaker in the No. 6 singles, junior Clement Homs rallied from a 5-2 deficit to advance the Longhorns to the
indoor championship.

Trumping Vanderbilt 4-0 Saturday, No. 20 Texas continued to avoid losing a single point in
dual-match play. 

On Sunday, No. 5 Soren Hess-Olesen/Lloyd Glasspool defeated Wake Forest’s No. 30 Adam Lee/Pedro Dumont to clinch the doubles point, a day after knocking off the nation’s No. 2 duo.

Sophomore Nick Naumann upped the Texas lead to 2-0 with a straight set win over Dumont. Junior Hess-Olesen followed with an upset of No. 20 Romain Bogaerts.

But when Glasspool fell in straight sets, the Longhorns suffered their first lost points of the season. The Demon Deacons tied the match 3-all after two more victories.

That left the No. 6 singles as the deciding match. Homs lost the first set but pulled off a comeback in the second to force the tiebreaker. Down 5-2 in the third, he won four straight points and saved Texas (5-0) from defeat.

Texas will compete in the 2014 ITA National Team Indoor Championship Feb. 14-17.